LABORATORY FOR SUSTAINABLE INFRASTRUCTURE MANAGEMENT
The broad aim of the SIM Laboratory is to cultivate new forms of knowledge and research in the area of sustainable management in various critical infrastructure systems, ranging from municipal utilities (solid waste, water, wastewater, electricity, etc.) and transportation infrastructure to resources and debris management before and after disaster events.
Currently, our team has been dedicating our research efforts towards the following areas:
(1) Sustainable storm debris and solid waste management for pre-disaster and post-disaster events
(2) Transportation and construction data analytics
(3) Infrastructure and building demolition planning
(4) Infrastructure system-of-systems management in the context of sustainability and disaster risk reduction
(5) Mitigating greenhouse gas emissions from solid waste landfills
(6) Beneficial use of industrial by-products and storm debris in civil engineering applications.
The SIM Laboratory was established by both professors Tarek Abichou and Juyeong Choi.
Lab director: Juyeong Choi, Ph.D.